Each year, our St. Paul community opens their hearts and doors to welcome and care for the homeless during a week-long interfaith rotating shelter program. March 2016 was St. Paul’s twenty-second year as a participating parish. Here is just an overview of what makes our program so rewarding to both guests, parishioners, and volunteers:
- Provide a warm, loving, welcoming, and spiritual environment for our less fortunate guests at all times.
- Ensure that all the needs of our guests are met whenever possible.
- Always treat our guests and each other with love and respect. “As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 24:15
- Encourage fellowship between our parishioners, volunteers and invited guests
- Provide a warm and loving environment for our guests
- Provide two hot meals and 1-2 large bag lunches daily
- Deliver superior accommodations to our guests
- Provide daily worship and spiritual opportunities for our guests
- Foster a positive, challenging and rewarding environment
- Ensure effective communication with our guests and each other
- Encourage unity and fellowship amongst our guests and fellow parishioners
- Organize activities, entertainment and opportunities for just having fun!
Interesting Facts About Our Program
- Open Hearts, Open Doors is the largest outreach program organized by St. Paul Church.
- We prepare more than 950 meals during the week long program.
- Last year, we served 15 gallons of orange juice and over 25 gallons of hot coffee!
- We use 15 loaves of bread and 12 pounds of meat and cheese to make lunches every day.
- Each year, an estimated 350-500 people volunteer to help with this program in various ways.